The Ontario Curling Council (OCC) is pleased to administer the Quest for Gold – Ontario Athlete Assistance Program (QFG-OAAP) for curling athletes on behalf of Ontario’s Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism & Culture Industries (MHSTCI). Quest for Gold’s overarching goal is to increase the performance and number of Ontario athletes competing at the highest national and international levels, thereby contributing to the improved performance of Canada at international competitions. Athletes are to be trending towards National Team Program “calibre” within the next 1-3 years. The program supports Ontario’s amateur athletes through direct financial assistance, enhanced coaching and enhanced training and competitive opportunities.
2019-2020 Quest for Gold Athlete Assistance Program
April 22, 2020 – Update: QFG 2019-2020 Athlete Announcement – FINAL
Nominees can expect to receive payment directly from the Ministry – target time frame – end of May* (subject to change).
The Ontario Curling Council wishes to thank the Ministry of Heritage, Tourism, Sport Culture and Industries for their continued operation of this program. Thank you to all applicants and the Quest for Gold Selection Committee.
April 8, 2020 – Update: QFG 2019-2020 Athlete Announcement – DRAFT
Nominated athletes (alternates excluded) will be contacted shortly to complete applications. Alternates do not receive funding, but are next in line to receive funding if nominated athletes (in their category) are deemed ineligible.
Appeal Process Deadline: April 14, 2020 – see DRAFT announcement for details.
Quest for Gold Criteria: Curling QFG 2019-20 Criteria – Mar 20
Application Deadline: March 31, 2020 at 12:oo pm EST
All applications are being accepted online only. Application attachments are to be uploaded within the application. If you do not finish the application in one sitting, you cannot access the application again – you’ll need to start again and re-submit. Refer to the Curling QFG 2019-20 Selection Criteria to ensure you have all documentation and attachments required to complete the application.
Select the appropriate application below:
Residency and Canada Card Exceptions Deadline: March 31, 2020 at 12:oo pm EST
- If you are requesting Residency or Canada Card Exceptions – all supporting documentation must be filed with Jennifer Ferris by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the March 31, 2020 12:oo pm EST deadline. It is the responsibility of the athlete to file the appropriate Exceptions, Ontario Curling Council is not responsible for determining if an athlete needs to file an Exception. Failure to file Residency or Canada Card Exceptions by the deadline will result in the applicant being ineligible to be nominated.
Attachment Forms and Resources:
2019-2020 Canadian Team Ranking System (CTRS) Points can be found here.
2018-2019 CTRS Rankings can be found here.
March 1, 2020 Player Canadian Mixed Doubles Ranking Detail Points can be found here. DO NOT COUNT CTRS . (Update March 20)
2018-2019 CMDRS can be found here.
Wheelchair Update – MARCH 20, 2020 –
UPDATE: MARCH 20, 2020 – DUE TO COVID-19 FACILITY CLOSURES:
- Curlers can submit Skill Based Testing Conducted in 2020, or submit last year’s (2019) Skill Based Testing (whichever is higher)
- As well, Team Coaches ARE BEING PERMITTED TO CONDUCT THE TESTING WITH A WITNESS (can be a teammate, does not have to be another Certified Coach) CO-SIGNING THE FORM.
- We are relying on the honesty and spirit of all curlers to submit valid testing results.
Tiebreakers – Ties will be broken using Skill based Testing conducted by an OCC assessor. Ties must be broken between April 2-5, 2020. If tiebreakers are required, affected athletes will be notified as soon as possible to determine a mutually agreeably date and location for skill based testing.
- Sample Annual Training Plan
- Sample Fitness Program: Strength Program – Weeks 1-2, USA Curling Strength Conditioning Program Summary 201112
- Sample Fitness Training Log: Workout Record Template with Comments
Draft Nominations will be announced – April 8,2020
Questions about the program? Please contact Jennifer Ferris, Manager – Programs and Operations at email@example.com or 289-527-0352.