Safe Sport Education and Screening are important steps in creating a Safe Sport Environment.
The Ontario Curling Council, and its members – CurlON and Northern Ontario Curling Association (NOCA) recognize that staff and volunteers at curling clubs are busy, the Safe Sport Verified Club Member Program is intended to help clubs ensure their key personnel have been Safe Sport Educated/Screened and to assist them in administration of this training/screening.
Safe Sport Verified Club Members will need to:
- Agree to adhere to their club’s and/or the Ontario Curling Council/CurlON/NOCA’s Code of Conduct
- Complete the Coaching Association of Canada’s Safe Sport Module
- Complete a Criminal Record Check (fee applies) and a Screening Disclosure
- Attest that you have reviewed Concussion Awareness Materials (Rowan’s Law).
When the above requirements have been satisfied the member will be issued a “Safe Sport Verified Club Member Certificate (effective for one year)” which the member can present to their club. Clubs can operate programming with the knowledge that they have done their due diligence to ensure the member has been educated and vetted without having to do the administration associated with the Training/Screening.
Club members will be sent automatic reminders to renew requirements when they expire (i.e. annual Concussion Awareness Material review).
- Employees of Curling Facilities
- Board Members
- Any member of the club who may be handling cash
- Any individual working with children or vulnerable athletes (ie Special Olympics)
The Ontario Curling Council uses Sideline Learning – a web-based platform to manage the Safe Sport Verification process. Members who would like to become a Safe Sport Verified Club Member should follow the following steps:
- Log on the OCC/CurlON/NOCA Sideline Learning website (LINK)
- Register as a New Member
- Click on the Profile Icon (top right corner) – complete the requested information and check off the “Safe Sport Verified Club Member” Role.
- Click on the Requirements Icon (top right corner) – complete the listed requirements.
See the step by step instructions here: Steps to Access the Safe Sport Verified Club Member Training Instructions
When all steps have been completed, an administrator will upload your Safe Sport Verified Club Member Certificate.
Have questions? Need help accessing your account? Contact Laura Forget – Competitions and Development Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for doing your part in keeping the curling environment safe.