The Ontario Curling Council (OCC) is the Provincial Sport Organization for amateur curling in Ontario. The OCC works collaboratively with its members CurlON and the Northern Ontario Curling Association to deliver programs, services and competitions for recreational and competitive curlers throughout the province.
The Ontario Curling Council (Board of Directors) is seeking nominations for one Independent Councillor Position, for a three-year term. The Independent Councillor will be elected by the current Councillors who represent the membership at the Annual General Meeting to be held on June 28, 2021 at 8:00 pm EST.
Potential Independent Councillors will possess one or more of the following skills and attributes:
- Commitment and capacity (time, energy, expertise) to fulfill the commitment as a Councillor – Council meets approximately 6-8 times per year by phone, occasional (once per two year) in-person meetings. Occasional Committee work as required by the Council.
- Knowledge about roles and responsibilities of a Councillor, Council and Staff
- Experience in formulating policy
- Experience in thinking strategically
- Knowledge about the community of sport, not necessarily curling specific
- Ability to identify principal business risks and ensure implementation of appropriate systems to manage those risks
- Knowledge of organizational performance mechanisms and ability to monitor, evaluate and report Involvement and/or awareness of the sport of curling including its presence in the community locally, provincially and/or nationally
- Technical expertise in the sport of curling, being high performance coaching or competitive play
- Ethical and values-based behaviour
- Representative of client population (athlete & Coach)
- Other attributes valued by the Council
- Financial Literacy – Including but not limited to a Financial Designation (CA, CMA, CGA)
- Legal Knowledge – Including but not limited to a Legal designation (LL.B)
- Professional qualifications (MD, PhD, MBA, Sport Science)
- Personnel Management – (Human Resources)
- Media/Marketing/Public Relations contacts/experience
- Awareness of Fundraising methods, grant applications and processes
- Administration/Management/Investment experience
- Advocacy/Government Relations/contacts
- Organizational development/Strategic Planning experience
- Other skills valued by the Council:
- Previous non-profit board experience
- Knowledge of Information Technology
- Event Management
- High Performance Athlete
- Club Management
All applicants must reside in the province of Ontario.
Interested individuals are asked to submit a resume outlining relevant skills and experience by June 10, 2021 to “Nominations Committee” via Heather Houston, Councillor at email@example.com.
The Nominations Committee may request an interview and references. Only candidates being nominated for election will be notified.The successful candidate will be required to submit a criminal record check (organization paid), upon election.
Questions may be directed to Heather Houston, Councillor ( firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jennifer Ferris, Manager, Programs and Operations (email@example.com or 289-527-0352).
Download this announcement here.